[DRBD-user] DRBD, Xen, HVM and live migration

Bart Coninckx bart.coninckx at telenet.be
Fri Sep 23 21:37:51 CEST 2011

On 09/23/11 19:03, Arnold Krille wrote:
> On Friday 23 September 2011 18:28:41 Felix Frank wrote:
>> On 09/23/2011 06:18 PM, Bart Coninckx wrote:
>>> Felix,
>>> do you combine your setup with clustering software? Or do you script a
>>> live migration? I'm intrigued by how you handle the timing in the latter
>>> case.
>>
>> ah, I didn't make this really clear.
>>
>> I haven't set this up with either live migration capabilities nor
>> pacemaker. All I have is a hot standby for manual recovery in case of a
>> primary node failure. Sorry.
>>
>> I believe that for pacemaker, you would have both your nodes be primary
>> at all times (i.e., not use a master-slave set at all).
>> Not a thrilling perspective, I guess.
>
> Dual primary isn't really needed (but its very nice to have).
> If you use one drbd-resource per vm, you need the dual-primary only during the
> migration.
> You can also run single-master that is exported via iscsi/aoe and mounted to
> all nodes, cluster filesystem on top and you also get an extendible vm-
> platform. But then you will have vms writing over network to the other node
> through iscsi which is writing back to your node via drbd...

That is an interesting idea, though it brakes a bit the high
availability mission: if one node goes down, you would need to connect
to the same node (local iSCSI session). I'm told this is not good. It
would be an ideal situation though, except for the additional network
cards (seperation iSCSI and DRBD traffic).