[DRBD-user] When would acitivity log take effect?

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Sep 21 15:21:28 CEST 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 08:46:27PM +0800, Lyre wrote:
> So activity log is used only when two nodes are connected ?
>
> I believe SRL in VVR stores the IO write order, so it may contain
> serval writes to a same block.

We do intend to have something we call "full data logging" (or
journalling, if you wish) in some future version of DRBD,
basically implemented as an intelligent persistent ring buffer.

This, of course, can only work as long as queued changes still fit in
that ring buffer.

At this point however, we do NOT have this yet.
We "only" mark changed blocks in a bitmap,
and resync based on that bitmap, once we get the chance.

The activity log has nothing to do with this at all,
but only with recovery after primary crash,
as it limits the area which we have assume to be "dirty".
Blocks outside the area covered by the activity log
can be assumed to be clean/dirty as marked in the bitmap.  Blocks inside
that area however may have been target of in-flight IO at the point of
the Primary crash, and thus need to be considered as in-need-of-resync
as a whole.

As the name may suggest, it logs activity.
It does not log data.

You may want to read up on before-resync-target handler.
Probably the DRBD-Proxy may be an interesting option for you as well.

--
: Lars Ellenberg