[DRBD-user] Please Help With /dev/drbd0

Florian Haas f.g.haas at gmx.net
Tue Sep 13 15:13:41 CEST 2011

On 2011-09-13 15:06, Felix Frank wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 09/13/2011 03:00 PM, Nick Khamis wrote:
>> Hello Felix,
>>
>> Thank you so much for your response. I was struggling with DRBD at
>> first, but no I'm up an running, loving it, and moving onto mysql,
>> pacemaker sharding, read and write scale-out..
>
> of course, your scale-out will be independent of DRBD, right? Because I
> don't see how those mix, using ext3 at least.

I suppose Nick is referring to database scale-out using MySQL replication.

>>> Erm, what? I don't really see what you're implying. The steps should
>>> have been:
>>
>>> 4. do whatever you want with /dev/drbd0 (mkfs, mount)
>>
>> When I said partition, I really meant mkfs.
>>
>> Before, I find myself in a corner, I thought I should ask. We are
>> thinking about using the InnoDB engine, do you see any problem with
>> this? Can you share some of your experiences please.

The InnoDB engine and its derivatives are the _only_ current MySQL
engine suitable for production use and capable of guaranteeing
transaction integrity in the face of DRBD failover.

> Not first hand, but it's supposed to work great.
>
> If you opt for very large InnoDB logs for performance reasons, your
> failovers may take very long as after primary crash, the standby node
> will have to perform an InnoDB recovery.

... where how long this will take, is all a question of properly tuning
your InnoDB buffer pool. It's by no means a law of nature that your
failover will take a very long time if you're running MySQL/InnoDB on DRBD.

Cheers,
Florian