[DRBD-user] DRDB + OCF Active Active

Florian Haas f.g.haas at gmx.net
Thu Sep 8 08:41:35 CEST 2011

Hi Nick,

On 09/07/11 21:28, Nick Khamis wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> We are looking to setup write intesive services using database
> technologies. Doing some research I yielded
> the attached document. Is there a issue in terms of performance using
> DRBD on an active active, and say
> mysql database? That being said, what is the best combination for
> clustering using DRBD:
>
> OCFS2 active active
> EXT3 active passive

With MySQL/InnoDB, putting it on OCFS2 is utterly pointless as only one
MySQL server process, regardless of which node it runs on, can ever
access the data files.

Slap your MySQL on a regular filesystem. You can still do
"active/active" in the sense that you can run two separate MySQL
instances on two nodes, with each node acting as the failover box for
the other, but don't attempt to put one set of data files on a
dual-Primary DRBD with a cluster file system.

> On top of HA, load balancing is also important to us.

Read scale-out is what you achieve with Pacemaker-managed MySQL replication.

Write scaleout is what you get from a Pacemaker-managed MySQL database
with sharding.

Are you based in the UK? If so, then my blog post at
http://wp.me/p4XzQ-aR may be of relevance to you, as you still seem to
be in the exploratory phase for this project.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Florian