[DRBD-user] DRBD with KVM for live migrations

Bart Coninckx bart.coninckx at telenet.be
Sun Oct 30 20:10:57 CET 2011

On 10/30/11 19:35, Trey Dockendorf wrote:
> Hello, I'm looking to use DRBD for the first time with my existing KVM
> servers to facilitate live migrations, and had a few questions.  I've
> seen lots of documentation on using DRBD with LVM based virtual machine
> disks, but I prefer to use qcow2 images.  Is it possible to have DRBD
> replicate the volume all the images are stored on rather than each
> individual VM LVM block device?  What would be used to ensure that only
> one KVM node is accessing the disks at a time until migration is needed?
>   If anyone has any advice or suggestions please let me know.  This is
> my  first time using anything for file system replication.
>
> Also, due to limitations of my current network I will not have a private
> or public network dedicated to the traffic of replication.  Is it
> possible to use a cross-over cable between my two nodes to facilitate
> the DRBD function?  Would I still be able to monitor and control DRBD
> via the node's public port using a different server?
>
> Thanks
> - Trey

Hi,

a cluster software like Pacemaker could serve your purpose very well. Do
incorporate STONITH though, as you will need dual primary DRBD.
Mind you Pacemaker is NOT easy, requires a lot of study and reading.

Share image files could be done with OCFS2 for example (or any
clustering file system). You then need to create a Pacemaker resource
handling this. Personally I never used OCFS2, but there are lots of
eaxmples around.

HTH,

B.