[DRBD-user] DRBD inside KVM virtual machine

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sat Oct 22 16:36:21 CEST 2011

On Friday 21 October 2011 22:48:32 you wrote:
> On 21 Oct 2011, at 07:22, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > I toyed with ocfs2 for about two days. Then I just went for gfs2 and
> > since then our dual-primary system is providing the storage for the
> > virtual systems just fine. That is we mostly use files as disks for the
> > VMs. If you are okay with clustered lvm, you can also do that. But as
> > far as I see it, that is harder to extend unless you export the
> > underlying drbd-resource via iscsi/AoE to the third and folowing nodes.
> > With gfs2 (or ocfs2) the third node can just mount the same dir via nfs.
>
> If you don't mind my asking: Which distro are you using for your GFS2
> cluster?

Debian squeeze with the cluster-stuff from backports. And the kernel from
backports because of the e1000e network cards, which makes drbd complain
because kernel-space is one micro-version smaller then userspace. I plan to
downgrade the kernel once I create or find dkms-packages for the e1000e...

I have to admitt that I haven't yet decided whether the third and following
nodes will receive the virt-pool via iscsi+gfs or nfs, iscsi+gfs has the
advantage that I could do multipath-iscsi.

That being said, I cant wait for drbd to support more then two active mirrors!

Have fun,

Arnold