[DRBD-user] Is VMFS5 "cluster aware"?

John Lauro john.lauro at covenanteyes.com
Wed Nov 30 16:19:01 CET 2011

Although you could also present it as iscsi and have it be VMFS over
iscsi.

So, if your main plan is to eliminate network latency, then technically
you could put drbd inside a VM running on local disk, and use an internal
loopback network for the iSCSI presented to the host from the vm.  You
could then run other vms from that vmfs disk.  Besides for being
technically possible, I can't imagine it working well for production.  Who
knows, with all the zero copy network and disk drivers with hardware
assisted virtualization maybe it would work better than I am
anticipating...

After a reboot and bringing up the vm on local disk which could autostart
fine, you will probably have to force a rescan of the iscsi to get the
vmfs volumes mounted, and of course you would have the restrictions of
iscsi over drbd on a second host...  Good luck with all that.