[DRBD-user] Cluster filesystem question

John Lauro john.lauro at covenanteyes.com
Wed Nov 30 02:08:45 CET 2011

Hmm, I just reread that article...  it sounds like it's just paranoid about split brain.

Wouldn't protocol C cause the I/O (or at least write I/O) to fail if the link went down?  or at least have that as an option of how to configure drbd?  From the manual for protocol C:  Synchronous replication protocol. Local write operations on the primary node are considered completed only after both the local and the remote disk write have been confirmed. So split brain shouldn't be possible if network loss between the two active nodes, or else protocol C is being violated.  You should have to manually tell drbd that the other node is down.  Of course that means there can be no automatic fail-over beyond the link quality of the two nodes as your volume would become read-only until network was restored.

Andreas, what happens if you block your two nodes from talking directly to each other, but allow the client to talk to both?