[DRBD-user] Any experiences with this kind of setup

Andreas Kurz andreas at hastexo.com
Wed Nov 23 10:33:02 CET 2011

Hello,

On 11/23/2011 10:00 AM, Thomas Reinhold wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm operating several DRBD clusters and am currently planning a new one.
>
> I just would like to know if you have any experience with or suggestions for this kind of stack:
>
> - RAID-Controller: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-4i with BBU and SAS-HDDs
> -- DRBD (protocol C, 2-node)
> --- LVM2
> ---- dm-crypt (aes:xts-plain:sha1:512)
> ----- VM (KVM)
> ------ DBMS (MySQL)
>
> Everything is based on Ubuntu LTS (10.04). The DRBD version shipped with the OS is 8.3.7 with Ubuntu patches (2:8.3.7-1ubuntu2.2).

We have such a setup running. On Debian Squeeze, backports kernel and
latest DRBD 8.3 ... works like a charm ;-)

> Any No-Nos in here? Any comments greatly appreciated!

Not really, though you want to make sure you have aesni_intel module
available when running on current Intel Xeon hardware to get support for
AES-NI. In combination with a kernel that supports multiple encryption
pipes you get nearly native write performance ... without you are stuck
to what one cpu can encrypt.

Regards,
Andreas

--