[DRBD-user] mkfs on /dev/drbd0 crashes host

glennv apnea at glennvenghaus.com
Sat Nov 12 11:13:34 CET 2011

Felix Frank-2 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 11/11/2011 10:33 AM, glennv wrote:
>> Have no ideas anymore so any ideas on what to do / try are welcome.
>
> would it be possible to create a kernel crash dump or anything in that
> vein?
>
> Seeing as this is a virtual machine, can you watch kernel output via
> virsh console (or xm console)?
>
> Cheers,
> Felix

Tried that , but seems like the machine is more freezing then crashing as it
does not even create a dump.
MAybe the VM machine is freezing.
But the good news is that i found a way around, by first creating a
filesystem on a standard disk and then creating a drbd volume from this
maintaining the existing data. I put the metadata on separate disks to be
able to do that.

Still some issues to work out but not related to this problem (i think) . Am
new at this linux cluster / drbd thing so need to dig in. Know my way around
aix and hp clusters for year so should be able to figure it out.

Main issue now remaining is that if i do a failover (manual or hard), it
works but  the disks loose connection and have each time to attach the drive
of the secondary and relink to parent .
I thought this should be automatic. Specialy on a manual takeover.
But will do some reading / digging to figure this out.

Thanks !!