[DRBD-user] My first splitbrain

Florian Haas florian at hastexo.com
Tue Nov 8 18:39:17 CET 2011

On 2011-11-08 18:02, Gerald Brandt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm still not sure why it happened, but I had my first splitbrain.
>
> My clients are back up on one server, and I'm trying to figure out how to stop the splitbrain from occurring again

disk {
  fencing resource-only;
}

handlers {
    fence-peer "/usr/lib/drbd/crm-fence-peer.sh";
    after-resync-target "/usr/lib/drbd/crm-unfence-peer.sh";
}

> when I plug the ethernet cables in again (both still think they are primary).
>
> On the currently disconnected server, can I do:
>
> drbdadm secondary iscsi.target.0
> drbdadm connect --discard-my-data iscsi.target.0
>
> and when I plug the cables back in, things should be okay?

Depends on your definition of "okay". Of course you will lose the
modifications that occurred on this node since the split brain happened
(which may be some time before it was detected, of course).

But yes, what you are suggesting will kick off a bitmap-based sync, with
the node where you're doing this becoming the SyncTarget.

Cheers,
Florian

--
Need help with DRBD?