[DRBD-user] DRBD on LVM on SoftwareRaid on SSD...

Robert Krig robert at bitcaster.de
Wed Nov 2 11:35:37 CET 2011

So, we have a MySQL server which uses a software Raid setup.

The Setup is as follows:
/dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb2 are software Raid device /dev/md2
/dev/md2 is formatted as a LVM volume named /dev/mysqlVG/DRBDmySQL
/dev/mysqlVG/DRBDmySQL is the DRBD block device.
/dev/drbd0 is formatted with ext4 and mounted as /var/lib/mysql

/dev/sda and /dev/sdb are two Intel Server SSDs, each 80GB in size.

Our DRBD setup is primary/secondary using protocol A

So my question is, since the actual Harddrives are SSDs, are there any
special options I would have to use, considering that I'm using SSDs for
this purpose.

The DRBD block device is mounted as ext4 with the discard option.
But will the fact that these are SSDs, translate through all the layers?
DRBD, LVM, SWraid?

Drbd is supposedly SSD aware, but does that still work when drbd is not
directly formatted onto /dev/sda or /dev/sdb?