[DRBD-user] Alternative to 'yes' to abort waiting?

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Mon May 30 09:51:15 CEST 2011

On 05/29/2011 01:57 AM, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> DRBD is running with heartbeat in this case, and you're right that the drbd
> init script probably shouldn't be called this way. Although to quote from
> the INIT INFO section of the script:

> Does "X-Start-Before" mean start this before these, or start these before
> this? Ubuntu as a Debian should obey this LSB stuff. But

Careful - you're agitating the Debian crowd ;-)

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that Ubuntu does these things in the
exact Debian way.

> http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts doesn't specify the syntax in much
> detail. The drbd init.d does have:
>
> # Required-Start: $local_fs $network $syslog
>
> which pretty clearly should be telling the system not to start drbd before
> the network is up. But it's trying anyway. Although that Debian page says:
>
> $network    low level networking (ethernet card; may imply PCMCIA running)
>
> So "low level networking" might mean something less than actually having
> networking running? It could be that this is an instance of tripping over
> Ubuntu's "upstart" transitional stuff. Much as I respect Ubuntu Server
> (I've run Slack, Red Hat, Gentoo, Debian, still run CentOS - and prefer
> Ubuntu), upstart is a PITA compared to proper init scripts.

It all depends on the way you're booting. A concurrent boot will honour
this. A symlink that was put into /etc/rcX.d by update-rc.d (or insserv)
should have been OK, too. Of course, if someone messed with the start
order, that's bunk now.

I don't see the big problem. You have a KVM connected? Why don't you
boot into runlevel 1 and put DRBD late in the boot order? (Please tell
me you can power down from remote.)

Also, what would (in your eyes) be wrong about configuring a wait
timeout and then just leave DRBD "running"? It sure won't break anything.

HTH,
Felix