[DRBD-user] Alternative to 'yes' to abort waiting?

Whit Blauvelt whit+drbd at transpect.com
Sat May 28 20:22:49 CEST 2011

Hi,

I've got myself in a sticky situation. Restarting a system remotely that was
a drbd primary, it's getting to "Starting DRBD resources," and then, after
finding the meta data, there's the "DRBD's startup script waits for the peer
node(s) to appear," plus mention that degr-wfc-timeout and wfc-timeout are
both set to 0 seconds, which means it will count down forever unless I enter
'yes'.

Sadly, the Java iKVM Viewer I'm watching this through can't pass 'yes' to it
- either through the real keyboard or the virtual one it offers.  It also
won't respond to ctrl-C.So the thing is waiting forever.  Also, the grub
option menu isn't available between the Console Redirection and SOL options
this Supermicro's IPMI web interface offers.  Think that would work if I'd
already added something to the kernel options in grub, but I hadn't.

So other than going physically to the server to enter 'yes' - which is at a
truly remote location from me - is there any hope at all here?

As a bonus question, Why would anyone design anything that could run in an
init script and allow it to ever have an infinite timeout? I'm sure there's
some excuse for it. But at present I'm thinking it's something that should
never, ever be allowed. Nobody should want a system to sit for hours without
completing its OS boot, ever, for any reason, if timing out on some option
could allow it to otherwise boot successfully.

Meanwhile, any suggestions on getting past this will be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Whit