[DRBD-user] Dual-primary/ Very slow synchronization

Daniel Meszaros spam at meszi.de
Wed May 25 20:22:55 CEST 2011

Hello again,

today I killed the asynchronous system, installed Xenserver 5.6 SP2 from
scratch and compiled the latest version of DRBD. SP2 reserves 4 VCPUs
for dom0 and I configured it to reserve 2 GB of RAM too instead of the
768 MB which were default.

But when I created the storage on the local DRBD device it almost hang
and the system log brought kernel timeout error messages of dom0.

Some other idea without having proof: Although I wasn't shure why the
issues just happen now and didn't occur in the beginning this issue
reminds me a bit like IRQ resource conflicts in the Win98 times. I
thought today's systems wouldn't worry about PCI latency and things.
Would it be worth a try putting the 10GbE NIC or the RAID controller
card into other PCI Express ports like we used to do 10 years ago when
something went curious?

I am seriously thinking about leaving Citrix Xenserver behind and trying
some other distribution. I mean: This time I even did not yet sync
towards some other machine but still worked locally. So it cannot be a
network related issue anymore but something on the machine itself. :-/

Are problems like mine happening more often or am I the only black sheep
experiencing this?

CU,
Mészi.