[DRBD-user] the perfomance issuce with a physical volume synchronization

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed May 25 16:15:39 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 02:00:35PM +0900, Junko IKEDA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > "trapped in I/O error" is supposed to mean what, in this context?
> > Can you elaborate or rephrase?
>
> Here is the testing environment and logs;
>
> OS
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.1 (Santiago)
>
> kernel
> Linux node1 2.6.32-131.0.15.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue May 10 15:42:40 EDT

DRBD does not build out of the box on that RHEL 6.1 kernel.
Wherever that package originates, that someone did some patching
to "make it work", only that it made it break.

Got it to compile and load, but as we can see,
it breaks when using a file system.

Background: the bio->bi_rw flags have been changed a few times
in the upstream kernel, and RHEL 6.1 changed it again in yet some
different way, so the compat wrappers and ifdefs in DRBD don't get it
right yet, leading to a compile error.

And whatever "fix" was applied to the source of your package
made it compile, but break.

I did a quick fix to show DRBD is ok on that kernel
if built correctly.
(undisclosed, because people running into "similar" issues later would
find it in the archives, apply it without knowing what they are doing,
and possibly again end up with something that does compile but not work)

We expect a proper fix soon.

--
: Lars Ellenberg