[DRBD-user] dd backup of Xen DomU on a DRBD device

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Wed May 11 11:20:35 CEST 2011

>> When you restore a dd image, you return to that point in time, metadata
>
>> included.
>

> True, but another thing might be the wish to mount the image. Not sure
> if this will work OK when the metadata is included.

I cannot see why not. After all, you can mount the file system off a
backing device with no problem (aside from completely f**king up DRBD's
notion of the data). So mounting it from an image through loop should
work to pretty much the same effect.

> Another idea might be to have the DRBD metadata simply externally on a
> SDD drive, problem solved.

Kinda :) If you restore the data to an active DRBD then, this will work
fine, but you'll set all Quicksync bits (when StandAlone). No problem
with that really - this *would* indeed be the cleanest and most simple
solution as far as I can see.

Cheers,
Felix