[DRBD-user] loopback devices and DRBD w/Hearbeat

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Fri May 6 09:24:42 CEST 2011

On 05/05/2011 09:47 PM, Jeff Humby wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've been working to configure 2 virtual servers running CentOS 5.6
> Kernel 2.6.35.4. The goal is to do this twice. First I would like to
> create a db cluster then I would like to do the same with the application
>
> I have installed heartbeat, drbd83 and kmod-drbd83
>
> I'm doing this on server slices from Rackspace. The direction for
> setting up on their side was in the following 2 urls:
>
> http://cloudservers.rackspacecloud.com/index.php/IP_Failover_-_Setup_and_Installing_Heartbeat
>
> http://www.walkernews.net/2007/07/01/create-linux-loopback-file-system-on-disk-file/
>

> I've also been following some direction from:
>
> http://www.fromdual.com/mysql-active-passive-fail-over-cluster-with-centos
>
> I have an external IP and an internal IP available to me but that part
> is simple. It seems that the issue that I'm having is when I try to get
> DRBD going on the loopback devices, I don't get anywhere. If there is a
> thread that I can follow (I'm brand new to the list) that you know
> about, please refer me to that thread and I will burn through that
> before I bug you all with this any more.
>
> Has anyone achieved success with loopback devices? Any suggestions

Hi,

what do you expect DRBD to do with your loopback devices?

You want your two VMs to synchronize the DRBD, no? If each uses its
loopback device, how do you expect them to communicate?

If you have internal IPs, why not use them instead?

The classic VM test setup will include two bridge devices on the host,
one acting as a back-to-back connection between the VMs, the other part
of your physical LAN.
DRBD will typically use the back-to-back connection.

HTH,
Felix