[DRBD-user] DRBD Floating Peers

Claude.Duplissey at gdc4s.com Claude.Duplissey at gdc4s.com
Thu Jun 23 21:45:16 CEST 2011

I am evaluating DRBD for possible use. I need to provide for two
possible primaries that can replicate data from a source ( r0 ) to a
secondary system. One of the primaries replicates and the other is
available to be activated if the first primary fails. For this purpose I
defined a virtual IP that can be activated on either primary and used to
communicate to the secondary system. In drbd.conf I defined the use of
the floating IP via
  floating 145.243.127.243:7789 {
    device /dev/drbd1;
    disk /dev/sdb1;
    meta-disk internal;
  }

Everything seems to work except that I have not found a way to take the
resource down on the primary using dbrdadm. Specifically, the command
drbdadm down r0 produces the message: 'r0' ignored since this host
(<hostname>)is not mentioned with an 'on' keyword. So the only way I
have found to shut r0 down is to stop the drbd service. Other commands
such as drbdadm role r0, drbdadm cstate r0, etc. seem to work.

1.	Is this a bug or is there a way to reference the resource?
2.	Is there a better way to configure the systems to handle this
case?

Thanks,
Claude Duplissey

	This message and/or attachments may include information subject
to GDC4S S.P. 1.8.6 and GD Corporate Policy 07-105 and are intended to
be accessed only by authorized recipients.  Use, storage and
transmission are governed by General Dynamics and its policies.
Contractual restrictions apply to third parties.  Recipients should
refer to the policies or contract to determine proper handling.
Unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If
you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy
all copies of the original message.