[DRBD-user] Device is held open by someone

Dileep Nayak tech.disscuss2011 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 16:15:05 CEST 2011

Hello All.

** **

I am just explaining the problem in more detail to make sure that everybody
understands what problem i have been facing.****

****

Let’s have an example.****

A server – ACTIVE , B server – STANBY ****

 ****

Our product uses DRBD to replicate DISK data ( like MySQL config data, disk
file)  from A server ( where Application processes are running, Here DRBD in
primary state) to B server( where Application are not running but has same
data as Active server has, here DRBD in secondary state).   Now A server
goes into the STANDBY state(DRBD goes into the SECONDAY state)because due to
some problem and B server goes to ACTIVE state(DRBD goes into the PRIMARY
state).  During this switchover: server A  goes from ACTIVE->STANDBY and
DRBD on server A is going into the PRIMARY-> SECONDAY  state,  during that
drbd checks open_cnt is greater than 0 (Here it should have been 0). Then it
will display the error “State change failed: (-12) Device is held open by
someone”)”.****

 ****

 ****

The below  error messages are printed in the log file by DRBD code.****

*Jun 23 07:08:11 abaco-a kernel: drbd0: State change failed: Device is held
open by someone*****

*Jun 23 07:08:11 abaco-a kernel: drbd0:   state = { cs:Connected
st:Primary/Secondary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate r--- }*****

*Jun 23 07:08:11 abaco-a kernel: drbd0:  wanted = { cs:Connected
st:Secondary/Secondary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate r--- }*****

 ****

I have no idea what could be the problem here?****

** **