[DRBD-user] switching to Protocol C

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Jan 31 16:09:32 CET 2011

From: Muhammad Sharfuddin <M.Sharfuddin at nds.com.pk>
> OS: SLES11 SP1 x86
> SLE HAE 11 SP1
> DRBD version: 8.3.7
> /dev/drbd0 is an oracle file system(/opt/oracle)

> We are having serious performance issues when using DRBD over a very
> slow but a very reliable WAN link(2.5 Mbps). As of now we are using
> Protocol C, and now we are [thinking about using] Protocol A.
> Anyone please suggest/recommend/comments

We had a similar situation, though it was with CentOS and Apache/MySQL, not
Orrible.  Write performance was  better with protocol A than it was with C.
Switching protocols was easy, though we weren't working with live data when we
did the switch.  There have been two unplanned flailovers in the last 8
months, but even with protocol A, there's been no data loss yet.

Note that YMMV on this, but it's worked for us.  Caveat user.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows