[DRBD-user] can't remove directory with a few million files

Joseph Hauptmann joseph at digiconcept.net
Fri Jan 28 20:44:07 CET 2011

Yes, I did try that. Doesn't make much of a (speed) difference.

It seems, that the problem is less that rm gets stuck for good, but that
it takes really long breaks (about 20 sec.) while deleting - during
those breaks the whole partition is stuck and iostat reports 100%
utilization compared to ~95% while actually deleting files. Could the
"hang-time" be DRBD writing meta-information (internal in my case) and
blocking every other access as long the meta-data isn't written to the
disk? Of course there is also the ext3-journal that has to be written,
but still I don't see why it should take that long: I'm currently timing
how long it takes to delete a subdir with 285868 block-sized files in it
(already more than 30 min).

dmesg is clear, so it does not seem to be a SATA reset.

any other ideas?

Joseph Hauptmann

/digiconcept/ - GmbH.
1080 Wien