[DRBD-user] DRBD: KVM and LV - cLVM necessary ?

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Fri Jan 28 10:44:27 CET 2011

Hi,

i'm planning to create the following scenario:

I have three different vm's, each one offering a different service.
The vm's are realized with KVM, installed into a plain LV, without a filesystem.
I'd like to have each vm high available. I have only two nodes, each
one with a hardware raid 5:

[ Node 1 ]     [ Node 2 ]
     |             |
[HW RAID5]     [HW RAID5]
     |             |
[Partition]    [Partition]
     |             |
[ PV1    ]     [ PV1    ]
     |             |
[ VG1    ]     [ VG1    ]
     |             |
[ LV1    ]     [ LV1    ]
     |             |
[ DRBD1  ]-----[ DRBD1  ]
     |             |
[ VM1A   ]     [ VM1B   ]

VM1A and VM1B are identical VM's, offering the same service !

Second VM (second service):

[ Node 1 ]     [ Node 2 ]
      |             |
[HW RAID5]     [HW RAID5]
     |             |
[Partition]    [Partition]
     |             |
[ PV1    ]     [ PV1    ]
     |             |
[ VG1    ]     [ VG1    ]
[ LV2    ]     [ LV2    ]
[ DRBD2  ]-----[ DRBD2  ]
[ VM2A   ]     [ VM2B   ]

VM2A and VM2B are identical VM's, offering another service.
And so on for further vm's (further services) ...

Do i need cLVM on the nodes for this scenario ?

Bernd