[DRBD-user] Local Asynchronous Replication

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Mon Jan 24 16:42:52 CET 2011

On 01/24/2011 04:08 PM, Nick Couchman wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> what level of asynchrony do you need? And (out of curiosity) why?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Felix
>
> I'll tell you what I'm trying to do, and maybe that will answer both
> questions.  I'm trying to roll my own disk-based backup solution.
> Basically, I'll have a Solaris-based system using ZFS to serve volumes
> out to the systems that I want to back up over iSCSI.  This way I can
> use the ZFS snapshot management capabilities to snapshot the volumes at
> various points in time, and use the clone capability to represent that
> volume somewhere in the event that I need a restore done.  Also, because
> ZFS supports remote send/receive out of the box, it gives me a way to
> send those backups off-site very easily for DR purposes.
>
> On the servers I'm trying to back up, I need some form of asynchronous
> replication.  These systems will connect over iSCSI to the ZFS system in
> order to replicate the volumes.  The reason for the asynchronous
> requirements is because I need to make sure that the replication of the
> data to the secondary (iSCSI ZFS) disk does not block I/O for the
> primary volume - I don't want the fact that I'm replicating the data to
> interfere with performance of the volume.  A second concern is that I
> need to make sure that all I/O operations are actually being done to the
> primary storage on each of those systems and not to the secondary iSCSI
> volume, again, mostly for performance reasons.  Finally, I want to be
> able to shut down the ZFS backup system and the iSCSI links without
> worrying about the system going into any kind of degraded state - it
> needs to be able to pick the synchronization right back up when it comes
> back up.
>
> The built-in Linux RAID1 driver offers the ability to mark a volume in a
> RAID1 set as "write mostly", which takes care of most of the concern for
> having I/O operations occur on the primary device, but does not
> necessarily insure that write operations will not be blocked by Linux
> waiting on them to occur on both volumes.

Ah, I see. So you want to retain Read-Only access even when iSCSI is
disconnected? That's problematic, as DRBD will probably detect possible
split-brains and refuse to resume synchronization. You can of course
discard your local backing device upon each reconnect, but that will
trigger (I think) a full sync from the iSCSI device.

You may want to consider hosting the local copy on an LV instead, make a
snapshot when your link goes down and mount the snapshot read-only
instead (bypassing DRBD at those times).

I'm not sure wether either idea is quite clean, but something along
those lines should be doable.

Cheers,
Felix