[DRBD-user] Xenserver 5.6 FP 1 DRBD crash

Alex Kuehne alex at movx.de
Tue Jan 11 16:58:46 CET 2011

Quoting Lars Ellenberg <lars.ellenberg at linbit.com>:

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 04:07:12PM +0100, Alex Kuehne wrote:
>> Quoting Alex Kuehne <alex at movx.de>:
>>
>> >Hi guys,
>> >
>> >This is another report of DRBD not working with Xenserver 5.6 FP1.
>> >I tried version 8.3.9 and 8.3.8.1. With Xenserver 5.6 (without
>> >FP1) at least version 8.3.8.1 is working.
>
> For your drbdadm segfault with 8.3.10rc1,
> please send me the config file it segfaults with (PM or to the list)

Here it is: http://p.0wnz.at/205018
The global_common.conf is used as shipped. This is the same config I
use with lower versions.

> For the kernel crash with FP1 kernel:
>
> Did you notice this post?
> | Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 11:38:27 -0500
> | From: Roman <zherom at gmail.com>
> | Subject: Re: [DRBD-user] Xenserver 5.6 FP 1 DRBD crash (Alex Kuehne)
> |
> | This issue was reported to DRBD list and Citrix forums 2 weeks ago.
> | There was no official follow up from neither of the vendors.
> | Seems it's a Xen new kernel issue which was resolved internally at
> | Citrix, but fix is not available at present time. See thread below:
> | http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=279359&tstart=45
> |
> | FP1 in general has plenty of issues, but that's beyond this topic.
> | http://forums.citrix.com/forum.jspa?forumID=503&start=0
> | Hope this saves you some time.

Yes I did. Thanks Roman for that. I was not aware that FP1 is such a mess.

> Other than that,
> please try both 8.3.8.1 and 8.3.9-5
> (not 8.3.9 plain, that is doing spin_lock_irq/spin_unlock_irq in a place
> where it should do the irqsave variant).
> 8.3.9-y branch is
> http://git.drbd.org/?p=drbd-8.3.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/drbd-8.3.9-y

Ok, I did that. I compiled latest snapshot 8.3.9-5. However both
version 8.3.8.1 and 8.3.9-5 crash when running drbd-overview after
making my first node to primary. No problem with drbdadm command so
far. Note that my drbd resource comes up with secondary/secondary.
This is a completely new resource, I try to initialize for use with
Xenserver. Before running drbd-overview I was able to cat /proc/drbd
and saw the first node being primary then for my resource.

Unfortunately for both 8.3.8.1 and 8.3.9-5 Xenserver is not able to
write a crash info to /var/crash. For version 8.3.9 Xenserver was able
to do it.

Best regards,
Alex Kuehne