[DRBD-user] configuring 2 services on 2 hosts

J j at koarcg.com
Thu Jan 6 18:24:56 CET 2011

On 1/6/2011 10:25 AM, Stefan Seifert wrote:
> Just to add another point of view: we just upgraded our cluster
> hardware and
> are now using these OCZ Vertex 2s. It is an HA cluster whiches whole point is
> to provide failover in case some hardware breaks. So what if those SSDs have a
> little higher failure rate. We're using RAID and in addition have the failover
> cluster. I've had enough HDDs dieing on me to not be scared anymore...
>
> And performance is just fantastic!
>
> Regards,
> Stefan

Thanks for the real world scenario Stefan. I'm definitely going to
revisit migrating to SSD's once I get it all up and running!

On a different note: I was thinking of doing the disk setup like this:

<sda1><sdb1>

<md1>

<ext3>    <!-- System Partition

<sda2><sdb2>

<md2>

<drbd>

<pv1>

<vg1>

<lv(s)>

<ext3>	<!-- Application Partition

and

<sda3><sdb3>

<md3>

<drbd>

<pv2>

<vg2>

<lv(s)>

<ext3>	<!-- Postgresql Partition

Putting in the lvm mainly to do snapshot style backups.  This makes me
wonder if it's a doable usecase to add more drives and have more than
one drbd partition in a pv group and then resize the lv if needed to
increase space (Man that's wild stuff).

But anyway, is setting up a pv on top of a drbd a good idea?