[DRBD-user] configuring 2 services on 2 hosts

J j at koarcg.com
Wed Jan 5 17:48:36 CET 2011

Hello,

This is my first go at setting up any HA services, so I wanted to see if
anyone on the list had a similar setup or any recommendations on doing
this better using drbd.

I'm setting up 2 servers with 2 application services on them. One
application service is postgresql database (about 5GB of data in
database). The other is custom software that does a lot of file-based
I/O (about 15GB of files) with a custom TCP server in front of it.

My idea is to have one server being the master for the custom software
and the other being the master
for the postgresql database. The other server will be a stand by for the
other service. Both will run run ubuntu 10.04 LTS and be connected by 2
cat6 1Gb cables.

This will hopefully distribute the load, as I am worried about the
postgresql clobbering the custom software (which requires very high
responsiveness).

So is setting up 2 brbd's in opposite configurations on 2 hosts a good
idea? I'm mostly worried about
performance and the headache of admin if the links go down. 2 cases of
split brain on 2 boxes
doesn't sound fun at all.

Thanks!