[DRBD-user] Antwort: Re: Which is better, internal or external meta data?

Robert.Koeppl at knapp.com Robert.Koeppl at knapp.com
Thu Feb 24 12:50:22 CET 2011

Hi!
We re using external Metadata on clusters where we replicate large
storages connected to the nodes via Fibre channel. There are two reasons
for that:
1: Luns and arrays on the storage are optimised for different access
patterns and sizes, preferred paths are set in a way, that different
controllers are used, so metadata and application data do not compete for
the data
2: snapshots of the luns can be used for backup/testing environments
without having to bother with DRBD-metadata on them, as long as they are
created when in a consistent state
3: in case of a meltdown of both servers we can get it up and running for
emergency-production without needing to configure a cluster at all
Of course this is not a typical drbd deployment.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Robert Köppl

Systemadministration

KNAPP Systemintegration GmbH
Waltenbachstraße 9
8700 Leoben, Austria
Phone: +43 3842 805-910
Fax: +43 3842 82930-500
robert.koeppl at knapp.com
www.KNAPP.com

Commercial register number: FN 138870x
Commercial register court: Leoben

The information in this e-mail (including any attachment) is confidential
and intended to be for the use of the addressee(s) only. If you have
received the e-mail by mistake, any disclosure, copy, distribution or use
of the contents of the e-mail is prohibited, and you must delete the
e-mail from your system. As e-mail can be changed electronically KNAPP
assumes no responsibility for any alteration to this e-mail or its
attachments. KNAPP has taken every reasonable precaution to ensure that
any attachment to this e-mail has been swept for virus. However, KNAPP
does not accept any liability for damage sustained as a result of such
attachment being virus infected and strongly recommend that you carry out
your own virus check before opening any attachment.