[DRBD-user] Which is better, internal or external meta data?

Junko IKEDA ikedaj at intellilink.co.jp
Wed Feb 23 11:30:45 CET 2011

Hi,

It might be the much-disputed question,
but we are often asked this by our customer again and again. :)
"Which is better, internal or external meta data?"

It's seems that internal meta data is easy to set up and recover,
and Linbit recommends this one, right?

However some people concern about its performance issue, because the user
manual say,
"Disadvantage ... internal meta data may negatively affect write
throughput"
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/ch-internals.html#s-metadata

I know this performance disadvantage is really rare case,
so I would like to recommend "internal meta data" as the community
recommended value.
Is it possible to add some positive comments about this performance issue
to the manual?
It might be enough to link to Florian's blog.
http://fghaas.wordpress.com/2009/08/20/internal-metadata-and-why-we-recommend-it/

Thanks,
Junko IKEDA

NTT DATA INTELLILINK CORPORATION