[DRBD-user] Identifying High iowait on DRBD Computers

Robinson, Eric eric.robinson at psmnv.com
Thu Feb 17 19:32:01 CET 2011

> On 02/17/2011 12:14 PM, Robinson, Eric wrote:
> > Hmmm... had to reboot the primary. Failover would not
> happen because
> > NFS would not stop. Had to power down the primary. The
> secondary took
> > over fine. The old primary is now running an fsck. With the old
> > primary offline, the new primary looks very normal with
> respect to iowait.
>
> Are you running RHEL? If so, you may need to modify your nfs
> init script /etc/init.d/nfs
>
> For some reason when running the default script for RHEL5 on
> the command line, nfs stops succesfully. However, when CRM
> (pacemaker/heartbeat) tries to stop nfs running the script,
> it always fails to stop.
>
> I ended up having to change from:
>
> killproc nfsd -2

> killproc nfsd -9
>
> In order to have successful failovers with
> pacemaker/heartbeat of the nfs server. Not the best way to
> kill it, but at least it fails over now.

This is an older Heartbeat haresources-based cluster. Would your
suggestion work even when kill -9 won't kill the nfs, nfsd, or mfsd4
processes? They simply would not die. I suspect this is because they are
in use by another process. I will shere was a --die-die-die switch that
just killed the dang things even when they are in use.

--Eric

Disclaimer - February 17, 2011
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for drbd-user at lists.linbit.com. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.