[DRBD-user] Decent shared storage setup for virtualization

James Masson james.masson at lmax.com
Tue Feb 15 11:15:31 CET 2011

I wouldn't use Raid5/6

take a look at these NFS stats - my VM hosting workload is 90% write.
For my everyday VM workloads, the only time there are significant reads from the VM shared storage
is at VM boot time, and even then, the VM host and storage server have a significant parts of the VM
disks in cache.

Server rpc stats:
calls      badcalls   badauth    badclnt    xdrcall
923254581   0          0          0          0

Server nfs v3:
null         getattr      setattr      lookup       access       readlink
32        0% 761649    0% 161       0% 461       0% 112220    0% 0         0%
read         write        create       mkdir        symlink      mknod
24842856  2% 838746432 90% 183       0% 9         0% 2         0% 0         0%
remove       rmdir        rename       link         readdir      readdirplus
120       0% 1         0% 73        0% 0         0% 0         0% 289       0%
fsstat       fsinfo       pathconf     commit
10248397  1% 32        0% 0         0% 48541412  5%

regards

James M