[DRBD-user] Decent shared storage setup for virtualization

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Mon Feb 14 20:59:48 CET 2011

I'm trying to wrap my head around storage setups that might work for
virtualization and I wonder if people here have experience with creating a
drbd setup for this purpose.

What I am currently planning to implement is this:
2 Storage 8-bay nodes with 8gb RAM and a dual-core Xeon processor.
Each system with gets equipped with 8 1TB SATA drives in a raid-5
configuration.
Networking will either be two dual-port cards or two quad-core cards which
I plan to setup as bonded interfaces (balance-xor).

I'm particularly worried about the networking side being a bottleneck for
the setup. I was looking into 10gbit and infiniband equipment but they
drive the cost up quite a bit and I'm not sure if they are necessary if I
can bond several 1gbit interfaces.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
   Dennis