[DRBD-user] DRBD + LVM backup

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Thu Feb 3 20:09:07 CET 2011

On 02/03/2011 01:50 PM, J wrote:
> I have drbd using a logical volume for a disk. I am wondering the best
> way to back this partition up. The current system that this DRBD setup
> is replacing takes a snap shot of a logical volume, mounts it locally in
> another location and then rsync's that directory to an offsite location.
>
> My question is: if I take a snapshot of the logical volume used by drbd,
> will I be able to mount that locally (and easily?) or will I have to do
> a strange setup where I have a resource in drbd.conf that is used only
> for the backup and I'll have to bring it up in a degraded fashion on the
> primary to get it to mount to do the rsync?
>
> Thanks!

A few things;

  If you use clustered LVM, snapshotting is not an option.

  How you snapshot depends, to an extent, on where LVM is in relation to
your DRBD resource. That is, if it's raw partition -> DRBD -> LVM, raw
partition -> LVM -> DRBD or stacked raw -> LVM -> DRBD -> LVM.

  If you've got LVM below DRBD, then snapshotting it would, I suspect,
take a point-in-time snapshot of one side of the resource. So long as
the DRBD itself is UpToDate, this should provide you with a "drive
image" capable of restoring your DRBD resource. Alternatively, if you
use LVM on DRBD, then you can snapshot individual LVM LVs as you
normally would.

  In either case, you should not impact or effect your DRBD resource,
beyond allocating enough space for the snapshot partition (be it
node-side or space in the DRBD resource).

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer at alteeve.com
AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com