[DRBD-user] Fwd: DRBD primary/primary vs. VMFS3 ?

Nathan Cerny ncerny at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 23:55:27 CEST 2011

Helps if I send this to the list...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nathan Cerny <ncerny at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 4:54 PM
Subject: Re: [DRBD-user] DRBD primary/primary vs. VMFS3 ?
To: pberton <pascal.berton3 at free.fr>

You have to run Protocol C to do primary/primary.  Protocol C ensures both
nodes know of each block write before it's reported as complete.  So in your
instance, one VM would get the block, and another would get a different
block.  There is no chance of them both reserving the same block.

At least that's how I understand Protocol C.  I'm sure someone else will
correct me if I'm mistaken!

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:33 AM, pberton <pascal.berton3 at free.fr> wrote:

> Hi folks!
> I've read a few posts talking about DRBD vs. VMFS3, but none seem to answer
> my question. May be someone can help. Here's the picture :
> I'm thinking of a primary/primary config, with ESXs on both sides. If
> hosted
> VMs do snapshots or make use of thin disks on both sides, corresponding
> files will grow step by step or should I say, block by block, each new
> block
> allocation being securized using SCSI reservations from the host running
> that VM.
> Now, guess 2 VMs on different sides of the replication chain make a new
> block request at the same time. What would happen ? I suppose SCSI
> reservations are not replicated by DRBD, therefore, each host will make its
> own reservation and potentially allow the same block to both VMs leading to
> corruption ?
> Has anyone already played with this kind of architecture ? Is
> primary/primary definitely a no-no for such architectures or is there some
> magic feature that can help me out build something safe ?
> Thanks by advance!
> Best regards,
> Pascal.
> --

Nathan Cerny

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my
telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone."
--Bjarne Stroustrup, Danish computer scientist