[DRBD-user] Unable to re-use device in stand-alone mode

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Apr 1 16:13:48 CEST 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 07:20:38PM +0200, Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:
> Brian R. Hellman wrote:
>
> >If you're really sure you want to be primary and blow away the data on
> >the other node you can do:
>
> I am sure -- it's swap space.
>
> >drbdadm -- --overwrite-data-of-peer primary drbd1_2
>
> >Where drbd1_2 is the device you want to promote to become your new primary.
>
> AFAIR I tried this (according to the man pages), but it didn't work.

It does work with drbd > 8.3.7.

Your situation: you have fencing configured.
drbd2 does not know it's peer to be Outdated.
So it refuses to become Primary.

You can reconfigure to fencing "dont-care" ;-)

You can low-level modify the meta data to mark the peer as outdated.

Or you can upgrade your DRBD, then use "drbdsetup x primary --force",
resp. drbdadm -- --force primary whatever.

With 8.3.7 and older, the --force
(formerly known as --overwrite-data-of-peer)
Would work for "Inconsistent" devices,
but not for "Consistent" -- which is the bug.

That's the state it comes up as, if you have fencing configured,
and the peer is not confirmed as outdated yet.

--
: Lars Ellenberg