[DRBD-user] use-bmbv for DRBD on top of LVM

Sebastian Hetze s.hetze at linux-ag.com
Fri Sep 17 07:58:52 CEST 2010

Hi *,

we are running DRBD on top of LVM with all kind of storage
lower in the stack.

The drbd.conf manpage states that use-bmbv is needed to get
best performance with software RAID. And I should use this
option only if I really know what I am doing...
If I understand the manpage correctly, bmbv is also useful
with LVM. However, I am not quite shure if and how this depends
on the the exact layout of the storage stack underlying the LVM.
Does it make a difference what kind of RAID we are using, if any?

How much performance gain can I expect with use-bmbv?

Best regards,

  Sebastian