[DRBD-user] DRBD and iSCSI

Bart Coninckx bart.coninckx at telenet.be
Thu Sep 9 14:57:55 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 08 September 2010 17:51:05 Mark Watts wrote:
> On 09/08/2010 04:22 PM, Roof, Morey R. wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> > I also use a very similar setup here.  We don't have any dataloss at all
> > because we run IET against a block device and use protocol C.  If the
> > failover happens in less than 60 seconds, where everything is up and
> > running on the other node, then you will be fine.  However, for some
> > clients you will have to adjust the SCSI timeout values but generally
> > Windows 2003 and up and any recent Linux system will be just fine.
> > Also, VMWare ESX 3.5 and up doesn't have any problem either.
> >
> > I have done extensive testing with all sorts of failure possibilities
> > and everything passed without issue.  Copies completed after a short
> > pause and the copies compared perfectly at the bit level.
> >
> > There are some corner cases that are extremely hard to simulate that I
> > believe work but I have been unable to perfectly verify in regards to
> > ESX systems.  These cases relate to the SCSI RESERVE/RELEASE commands
> > used by VMWare.  If an ESX server issues a RESERVE command and then the
> > iSCSI system does a failover then the when the failover completes the
> > RESERVE won't be present on the other node when iSCSI service is
> > restored.  So, if another ESX system in a cluster issues a SCSI command
> > to a critical area that the other ESX server was trying to protect then
> > data corruption could occur.
> >
> > However, from my testing what appears to happen is that ESX systems see
> > the iSCSI session as being gone and does a new login (on the other node
> > when service is restored).  This is in effect just like a SCSI LUN or
> > BUS reset and since ESX uses SCSI-2 based RESERVE/RELEASE then it
> > assumes those reservations are reset and then issues new RESERVE
> > commands.  The only problem is that I haven't been able to extactly
> > capture this pattern on the wire with wireshark in my testing.  I have
> > come close but not completely as it is hard to cause a failure at that
> > exact moment between a RESERVE/RELEASE pair.
> >
> > Perhaps others can share their insights on this aspect of such a
> > cluster.
> >
> > -Morey

Maybe I might throw in a warning: I use a active/passive iSCSI server based on
Heartbeat and DRBD as well and it serves both blockdevices for Xen guests as
storage for a Novell NSS file system. After deliberately failing over (so
minimal disconnection time) the volume survived all the time, except for one:
it was corrupted. Novell technical services pointed out this could happen to
any filesystem since it is the equivalent of pulling the harddrive cable.

Rgds,

B.