[DRBD-user] Best Practice with DRBD RHCS and GFS2?

J. Ryan Earl oss at jryanearl.us
Tue Oct 26 18:37:58 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Colin Simpson <Colin.Simpson at iongeo.com>wrote:

> Maybe I just need to leave for a long time ? Or I wonder because you
> have "noquota" in your mount options and the oops is in gfs2_quotad
> modules you never see it?

I saw that too...  I'm not sure if the noquota statement has any effect, I
didn't have any problems before adding that but I saw in some tuning
document it could help performance.

> Though I don't see why you are adding the /etc/init.d/gfs2 service to
> the cluster.conf, as all that does is mount gfs2 filesystems from fstab
> (and you say these are noauto in there), so will this do anything? The
> inner "clusterfs" directives will handle the actual mount?

It's to handle the unmount so that the volume goes down cleanly when the
rgmanager service stops.  clusterfs won't stop the mount, so I put the mount
in /etc/fstab with "noauto" so let rgmanager mount and unmount GFS2.

> <resources>
>   <clusterfs device="/dev/CluVG0/CluVG0-projects" force_umount="0"
> fstype="gfs2" mountpoint="/mnt/projects" name="projects" options="acl"/>
>   <nfsexport name="tcluexports"/>
>   <nfsclient name="NFSprojectsclnt" options="rw"
> target=""/>
>    <ip address="" monitor_link="1"/>
> </resources>
>    <service autostart="1" domain="clusterA" name="NFSprojects">
>     <ip ref=""/>
>     <clusterfs fstype="gfs" ref="projects">
>       <nfsexport ref="tcluexports">
>          <nfsclient name=" " ref="NFSprojectsclnt"/>
>        </nfsexport>
>      </clusterfs>
>    </service>

YMMV but I found it best to keep 'chkconfig gfs2 off' and control that as a
script from rgmanager.  It fixed order of operation issues such as the GFS2
volume being mounted still during shutdown.  I'd wrap all your gfs clusterfs
stanzas within a script for gfs2.  I suspect your gfs2 is recovering after
an unclean shutdown, if you're using quotas that could add time to that
operation I suppose.  Does it eventually come up if you just wait?