[DRBD-user] Before swap to DRBD

Mark Watts m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com
Wed Oct 27 16:54:05 CEST 2010

On 10/27/2010 01:36 PM, Sam Przyswa wrote:

> Now I understand the difference but in this case what about if I extend
> the size of the LVM logical volume "disk /dev/mapper/vg_foo_bar" ?

Standard LVM resizing rules apply in either case; you must resize block
devices starting at the bottom of the stack first.

Example (note: untested, but you get the idea)

Disk:
/dev/sda = 50GB disk
/dev/sda1 = 20GB partition

LVM:
  pvcreate /dev/sda1
  vgcreate MyVG /dev/sda1
  lvcreate --name MyLogVol -l 100%FREE MyVG
/dev/mapper/MyVG-MyLogVol = 20GB Logical Volume

DRBD:
/dev/drbd1 -> /dev/mapper/MyVG-MyLogVol	= 20GB DRBD block device.

LVM ontop of DRBD:
  pvcreate /dev/drbd1
  vgcreate MyDRBDVG /dev/drbd1
  lvcreate --name MyDRBDLogVol -l 100%FREE MyDRBDVG
/dev/mapper/MyDRBDVG-MyDRBDLogVol = 20GB Logical Volume

Filesystem:
mke2fs -j /dev/mapper/MyDRBDVG-MyDRBDLogVol

Resize base partition:
/dev/sda1 -> 50GB (use fdisk)

Resize first LVM:
  pvresize /dev/sda1
  vgextend ...
  lvextend ...

Resize DRBD:
  drbdam resize <resource>

Resize upper LVM:
  pvresize /dev/drbd1
  vgextend...
  lvextend...

Resize filesystem:
  resize2fs /dev/mapper/MyDRBDVG-MyDRBDLogVol

/dev/mapper/MyDRBDVG-MyDRBDLogVol = 50GB Logical Volume.

- --
Mark Watts BSc RHCE
Senior Systems Engineer, IPR Secure Managed Hosting
www.QinetiQ.com