[DRBD-user] Problem mounting lvm snapshot

Lewis Donzis lew at pt.net
Wed Oct 27 14:01:07 CEST 2010

> what are the options you try and mount the snapshot?

I didn't use any options, let mount figure it out.

> mount should not assume a "drbd" filesystem type. You
> probably use bad options or have a faulty fstab. If all else
> fails, use mount -t <correct_fs>.

You're absolutely right.  With "-t ext4" it works fine.  But for some
reason, with no options, after create-md, it is no longer able to
determine the type automatically.

> Also, your filesystem should have been created after
> create-md, on the /dev/drbdX device (unless I'm gravely
> mistaken).

Yes, that makes sense, but I was mainly trying to illustrate that it was
specifically the create-md function that "did something" to the disk to
make it unmountable.

> In any case, the fs has no notion of DRBD
> whatsoever, as DRBD works on the block layer of things.

That's what I would've expected, too, but apparently having the meta data
at the end is enough to confuse mount's automatic filesystem detection.

However, this will work fine by specifying the filesystem type.

Thanks for your help -- I figured it was something simple!

lew