[DRBD-user] Axigen LVM DRBD config problem

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Wed Oct 27 11:14:08 CEST 2010

On 10/27/2010 11:04 AM, Thomas Baumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so just do what the message says: zero the metadata on the underlying
> storage:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 bs=1M count=1
>
> This should help.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Thomas.

Hi,

it appears the OP would like his 900G filesystem not destroyed ;)
So no, you might not want to do that.

>From what I can see, you probably want to use external metadata. Can you
shrink one of your LV's to make room for an additional dedicated
metadata disk? Least pain that way.

Alternatively, just shrink the fs in /var/opt to make room for the
metadata. Are these mailservers in a failover cluster? If you can take
them down for maintenance one at a time, you should be able to modify
the filesystems.

>> Should I use
>> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-lvm-lv-as-drbd-backing-dev.html
>> Mean Should I create a lvm device then I map drbd device on it.

You are trying this already, as far as I can tell from your config.

>> Is there any way that I donot change the partition table,
>> Mean I donot change size of any partition. or create any partition?
>>
>> An other question:
>> What should I place in "disk /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00;" should I use
>> 'disk /sdb2" or "disk /sda2"

I don't fully understand your layout. Does your PV comprise /dev/sda2?
Is /dev/sdb2 used at all atm?

>> I just wnat to have a mirror of /var/opt directory

What is currently mounted as /var/opt.

The current partition of /var/opt should become your backing device,
then mount /dev/drbd0 as /var/opt.

HTH,
Felix