[DRBD-user] Axigen LVM DRBD config problem

Docharkhehsaz m.docharkhehsaz at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 13:09:32 CEST 2010

I like to have the /var/opt directory to be mirrored on both nodes,
When I try to run :
drbdadm create-md axigenStorage I got error:

[root at mail2 ~]# drbdadm create-md axigenStorage
md_offset 994519805952
al_offset 994519773184
bm_offset 994489421824

Found ext3 filesystem
    971210752 kB data area apparently used
    971181076 kB left usable by current configuration

Device size would be truncated, which
would corrupt data and result in
'access beyond end of device' errors.
You need to either
    * use external meta data (recommended)
    * shrink that filesystem first
    * zero out the device (destroy the filesystem)
Operation refused.

Command 'drbdmeta 0 v08 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 internal create-md'
terminated with exit code 40
drbdadm create-md axigenStorage: exited with code 40

=========================

Here is my drbd.conf:
===========================
#
# please have a a look at the example configuration file in
# /usr/share/doc/drbd83/drbd.conf
#

#
# drbd.conf example
#
# parameters you _need_ to change are the hostname, device, disk,
# meta-disk, address and port in the "on <hostname> {}" sections.
#
# you ought to know about the protocol, and the various timeouts.
#
# you probably want to set the rate in the syncer sections

#
# NOTE common pitfall:
# rate is given in units of _byte_ not bit
#

#
# increase timeout and maybe ping-int in net{}, if you see
# problems with "connection lost/connection established"
# (or change your setup to reduce network latency; make sure full
#  duplex behaves as such; check average roundtrip times while
#  network is saturated; and so on ...)
#

skip {
   As you can see, you can also comment chunks of text
   with a 'skip[optional nonsense]{ skipped text }' section.
   This comes in handy, if you just want to comment out
   some 'resource <some name> {...}' section:
   just precede it with 'skip'.

   The basic format of option assignment is

   It should be obvious from the examples below,
   but if you really care to know the details:

<option name> :=
         valid options in the respective scope
               depending on the set of allowed values
               for the respective option.
<num>    := [0-9]+, sometimes with an optional suffix of K,M,G
<string> := (<name>|\"([^\"\\\n]*|\\.)*\")+
<name>   := [/_.A-Za-z0-9-]+
}

#
# At most ONE global section is allowed.
# It must precede any resource section.
#
global {
     # By default we load the module with a minor-count of 32. In case you
     # have more devices in your config, the module gets loaded with
     # a minor-count that ensures that you have 10 minors spare.
     # In case 10 spare minors are too little for you, you can set the
     # minor-count exeplicit here. ( Note, in contrast to DRBD-0.7 an
     # unused, spare minor has only a very little overhead of allocated
     # memory (a single pointer to be exact). )
     #
     # minor-count 64;

     # The user dialog counts and displays the seconds it waited so
     # far. You might want to disable this if you have the console
     # of your server connected to a serial terminal server with
     # limited logging capacity.
     # The Dialog will print the count each 'dialog-refresh' seconds,
     # set it to 0 to disable redrawing completely. [ default = 1 ]
     #
     # dialog-refresh 5; # 5 seconds

     # You might disable one of drbdadm's sanity check.
     # disable-ip-verification;

     # Participate in DRBD's online usage counter at http://usage.drbd.org
     # possilbe options: ask, yes, no. Default is ask. In case you do not
     # know, set it to ask, and follow the on screen instructions later.
     usage-count no;
}

#
# The common section can have all the sections a resource can have but
# not the host section (started with the "on" keyword).
# The common section must precede all resources.
# All resources inherit the settings from the common section.
# Whereas settings in the resources have precedence over the common
# setting.
#

common {
protocol C;
   syncer { rate 10M; }
}

#
# this need not be r#, you may use phony resource names,
# like "resource web" or "resource mail", too
#

resource axigenStorage{
     on mail1.cra.ir {
     device /dev/drbd0;
     disk /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00;
#disk /dev/sdb2;

address 192.168.44.88:7788;
meta-disk internal;
}
on mail2.cra.ir {
device /dev/drbd0;
     disk /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00;
#disk /dev/sdb2;
address 192.168.44.89:7788;
meta-disk internal;
}
}

============

Here is pvdisplay,lvdisplay out put:
[root at mail2 ~]# pvdisplay
   --- Physical volume ---
   PV Name               /dev/mapper/isw_bahjijhdij_Volume0p2
   VG Name               VolGroup00
   PV Size               931.40 GB / not usable 29.40 MB
   Allocatable           yes (but full)
   PE Size (KByte)       32768
   Total PE              29804
   Free PE               0
   Allocated PE          29804
   PV UUID               iXa47w-qUwE-LbPj-n3Nn-cXSj-HG9h-o3Kj2t

[root at mail2 ~]# lvdisplay
   --- Logical volume ---
   LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
   VG Name                VolGroup00
   LV UUID                7pJWE9-UYDo-L5pC-MWBI-WczC-bYxt-Nu0k3t
   LV Write Access        read/write
   LV Status              available
   # open                 1
   LV Size                926.22 GB
   Current LE             29639
   Segments               1
   Allocation             inherit
   Read ahead sectors     auto
   - currently set to     256
   Block device           253:3

   --- Logical volume ---
   LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
   VG Name                VolGroup00
   LV UUID                g7FypE-T3ii-7A80-yxPT-wLIj-VfSY-iITqH2
   LV Write Access        read/write
   LV Status              available
   # open                 1
   LV Size                5.16 GB
   Current LE             165
   Segments               1
   Allocation             inherit
   Read ahead sectors     auto
   - currently set to     256
   Block device           253:4

=============
[root at mail2 ~]# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/sda2              14      121600   976647577+  8e  Linux LVM

Disk /dev/sdb: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sdb1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/sdb2              14      121600   976647577+  8e  Linux LVM

========================

Here is the question:
Should I use
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-lvm-lv-as-drbd-backing-dev.html
Mean Should I create a lvm device then I map drbd device on it.

Is there any way that I donot change the partition table,
Mean I donot change size of any partition. or create any partition?

An other question:
What should I place in "disk /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00;" should I use
'disk /sdb2" or "disk /sda2"

I just wnat to have a mirror of /var/opt directory

Thank u