[DRBD-user] Before swap to DRBD

Mark Watts m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com
Tue Oct 26 11:13:47 CEST 2010

On 10/25/2010 08:37 PM, Sam Przyswa wrote:
> Hi,
> Before to swap my Zimbra and Postfix server on DRBD I have some questions:
> My actual setup run Zimbra (collaborative app) and Postfix in
> virtualization on 2 vserver guest and LVM, each virtual machine / is a
> logical volume. I plan to run the LVM over DRBD.
> 1) - First of all is the LVM on DRBD is really fiable in production mode ?

Using an LVM volume for DRBD backing store, and using a DRBD block
device as an LVM physical volume are both supported.

> 2) - In case of DRBD crash on primary is it tools to recovery the
> filesystem and what about the secondary ?

Assuming DRBD is in Primary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate, then an fsck on
the primary node is all you need.
Remember, DRBD is replicating changes to blocks. If that happens to
correspond to writes by a filesystem, then great.

> 3) - To migrate to the new setup I have to configure the secondary
> machine with only one machine as primary to create the logical volume
> and install the vservers. Is it a problem to start DRBD with only one
> machine before install DRBD and LVM on second machine and sync after ?

Single-node DRBD is fine. When you do eventually connect the second
node, a full sync will occur so you may wish to do this during scheduled
down-time or overnight.

It's best to have drbd.conf configured for both nodes though, just don't
start DRDB on the second node until you are ready.

- --
Mark Watts BSc RHCE
Senior Systems Engineer, IPR Secure Managed Hosting
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)