[DRBD-user] Best Practice with DRBD RHCS and GFS2?

J. Ryan Earl oss at jryanearl.us
Fri Oct 22 19:19:39 CEST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Colin Simpson <Colin.Simpson at iongeo.com>wrote:

> Oct 20 15:47:44 testnode2 kernel: "echo 0
> > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.

That timeout is a warning from khungtaskd, it's not actually an error.  Just
let's you know a kernel-thread was blocked for 120-seconds, but that may be
OK, some tasks can take awhile to complete.  I've only seen those when I do
software raid resyncs.  If you didn't unmount the volume cleaning, it could
be doing some recovery which is why you get the long-running thread.

I don't know what's going on with your setup.  I've never had that issue, it
could be something else in your configuration, corrupt data, etc.  It's not
clear this is a DRBD issue, it could be cluster or GFS configuration.

I have rgmanager control all my GFS2 resources, example cluster.conf bits:

                <resources>
                        <script file="/etc/init.d/httpd" name="httpd"/>
                        <script file="/etc/init.d/gfs2" name="GFS2"/>
                        <clusterfs device="/dev/ClusteredVG/gfs-vol"
force_unmount="0" fsid="12345" fstype="gfs2" mountpoint="/content"
name="/content" options="rw,noatime,nodiratime,noquota" self_fence="0"/>
                </resources>
                <service autostart="1" domain="failover1" name="content"
recovery="restart">
                        <script ref="GFS2">
                                <clusterfs fstype="gfs" ref="/content">
                                        <script ref="httpd"/>
                                </clusterfs>
                        </script>
                </service>

The file system is also in fstab with "noauto" set for clean dismounting
when rgmanager is shutdown.  It could be that you're not cleanly shutting
down and recovering on startup for >120 seconds.

-JR