[DRBD-user] Problem with DRBD sync stalling with vmware vmxnet3 10Gb adapter
smccreadie at CanyonPartners.com
Fri Nov 19 19:54:20 CET 2010
I am having issues using the vmware 10Gb virtual adapter with vmxnet driver and drbd. When I go to sync the resources, the sync will always stall at some point. I have confirmed that the vmxnet driver is the culprit, as I have no issues using the e1000 NIC and driver on the same VMs.
My setup is this:
- ESXi 4.1 on new HP DL 380 G7 servers
- Onboard Broadcom NC382i gigbit adapter
- Add on Emulex OneConnect 10Gb SFP adapter
- Two identical fedora 13 VMs setup with drbd version 8.3.7 installed
- One SFP+ cable running direct between the two 10Gb NICs on each server, no switch.
- One 1Gb CAT6 cable running direct between two 1Gb NICs on each server, no switch.
When I add a vmxnet3 virtual adapter to the VMs and start drbd, it begins syncing and then quickly will stall. The behavior is identical when I map the virtual NIC to either the Emulex 10Gb adapter on the ESXi host, or the Broadcom 1Gb adapter. So I know its not the physical link that's the issue.
Conversely when I add the e1000 NIC to the VMs and start drbd, everything syncs fine with no issues, and again this is the same no matter what physical link I connect the VMs to.
I installed vmware tools and verified it loaded the vmxnet3 module successfully.
I have looked in the messages log but haven't found anything, is there another log I should be reviewing?
Thanks in advance for any insight into this.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the drbd-user