[DRBD-user] RedHat Clustering Services does not fence when DRBD breaks

J. Ryan Earl oss at jryanearl.us
Tue Nov 23 19:15:04 CET 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Joe Hammerman <jhammerman at saymedia.com>wrote:

>  Hey all, we are attempting to roll out DRBD in our environment. The issue
> we are encountering is not with DRBD itself but with RHCS. Does the DRBD
> device need to be defined as a resource in order for it’s breaking to
> trigger fencing? The DRBD nodes are VM’s, and the DRBD devices are
> incorporated into LVM’s with GFS2 formatting.
>
> Should I use the DRBD fence-peer handler script to call fence_vm?

Short answer is: No.

In general, you should not handle active-active DRBD devices with RHCS.  You
only want to handle DRBD devices that are active only on one node at a time
in RHCS (at least with CentOS/RHEL5 I haven't checked 6 yet).  Basically if
the DRBD device changing to active is a dependency of a service (ie you have
an ext4 filesystem on the DRBD device) that must be active and mounted.
Think of DRBD as just shared storage in the active-active case, you treat it
as you would say a SAN or iSCSI LUN block device.  If you were worried about
connectivity to shared storage, you could setup a quorum disk as one of the
LVs on top of the DRBD PV.

-JR