[DRBD-user] un-fencing

Dario Fiumicello - Antek fiumicello at antek.it
Thu Nov 18 18:33:43 CET 2010

Il 18/11/2010 17:57, Or Gerlitz ha scritto:
> Suppose a disconnected primary outdated (fenced) the secondary, e.g
> through some other link and/or cluster management software. Now the
> primary crashed and the cluster mng sw wants to promote the secondary,
> for that end, it has to be taken out from the outdated state - how can
> this be done e.g with drbdadm/drbdsetup?
>
> I really hope this isn't RTFM and if yes, please show me the M... I
> saw that there is some mentioning of un-fencing, but didn't manage to
> follow how this works, except for the case where the connection
> recovers and the state machine on the secondary node drbd kernel code
> changes its own state after going to SyncTarget etc.

You can promote an outdated secondary to primary with:

drbdadm -- --overwrite-data-of-peer primary <resource*>*

but this way, once the old primary is restored you'll get a split brain.

To solve it you should issuo on the old primary:

drbdadm -- --discard-my-data connect <resource>

and on the new primary:

drbdadm connect <resource>

HTH

--

Dario Fiumicello - Antek S.r.l.
+3902890380 93 - Porto Mantovano (MN) Italy