[DRBD-user] Building a VM based HA NFS setup over LVM and DRBD

Steve in Tokyo steve at asobisoft.com
Wed Nov 17 13:28:54 CET 2010

Hi All,

I am new to DRBD and have what is likely a silly question, I hope this is
the appropriate place to ask and apologize if it isn't.

I have built a 2 node Proxmox cluster and am using LVM over DRBD, with DRBD
in dual primary mode. It seems to be running flawlessly and I am very happy.
I have been able to live migrate an asterisk box while in a conversation
without even noticing, and now I am hooked.

I wanted to experiment with High Availability and decided to build an NFS
setup with heartbeat. I would like to do this with Virtual machines running
on the Proxmox cluster. Through my experimentation I have found that I can
mount the LVM volumes as a drive in KVM based VMs (1 NFS server one the
master and the 2nd on a Node), and have heartbeat automatically fail them
over. However, the two LVM volumes don't seem to sync up properly. If I copy
a file to the volume on the master, stop heartbeat, the secondary will
pickup the IP address, mount the volume, but the newly copied files won't be
there, even if I wait a minute before performing the failover.

I am wondering if what I am trying is even possible. As I said I am very new
to this, and have been reading as much as I can. I am viewing the DRBD setup
as a physical device, and thought that the writes would be automatically
replicated. I am wondering if because I am writing to the logical volume
from the VMs directly if the DRBD aspect is bypassed, or if there is
something else I am missing (I am sure there is much I am missing). Thanks
in advance.

Steve