[DRBD-user] automatic recovery, 2 successively drbd_sync_handshake with different results

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu May 27 11:17:52 CEST 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 08:04:53PM +0100, Maros Timko wrote:

> >> What is your pri-lost-after-sb doing? Rebooting the node? Which one?
> >
> >  pri-lost-after-sb "echo perte primaire DRBD >~/.drbdStatus; drbdadm
> > secondary mysql;  drbdadm outdate mysql; ifconfig eth0 down; sync;
> > reboot -f";
> >
> > N1 reboots.
>
> So, this is not automatic recovery anymore. You set N1 to outdate its
> data meaning "resync from peer".

Do you realize that you cannot demote DRBD to primary,
if it is still in use? You'd need to first umount, which implies
anything using the file system would need to be stopped first, too.
BTW, "outdate"ing an in-use primary does not work, either...

You will always get a "crashed primary", this way,
which will apply its "activity log" after reboot.
That's probably also the difference in "set bits" you asked for earlier.

I suggest you spend less time on figuring out how to automatically throw
away data, but instead invest some effort to _avoid_ diverging data sets
in the first place.

--
: Lars Ellenberg