[DRBD-user] bond for drbd identical performance with one link down

Michael Iverson miverson at 4hatteras.com
Mon May 24 00:06:55 CEST 2010

I would think that it is a huge benefit to do so. I don't have specific
numbers for Gigabit ethernet yet (I need to build two crossover cables to do
the test, but I do have some preliminary data using 10Gbps Infiniband. I
used netperf to generate these numbers.

ipoib, datagram mode (with an associated maximum MTU of 2044) standard tcp
parameters: 2467 Mbps
ipoib, connected mode (with an associated maximim MTU of 65520) standard tcp
parameters: 5488 Mbps
ipoib, connected mode (with an associated maximim MTU of 65520) modified tcp
parameters: 7560 Mbps one way, 6226 Mbps in reverse
ipoib, connected mode (with an associated maximim MTU of 65520) modified tcp
parameters, after updating the outdated firmware on one node: 7862 Mbps both
directions.

Clearly, there are huge advantages to adjusting the MTU and send/receive
buffers. While an MTU of 65520 is huge by ethernet standards, I only saw
about a 3 to 5% reduction in performance with an MTU of 10000

BTW, my total expenditure for the point-to-point Infiniband link was US$184.

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Lee Riemer <lriemer at bestline.net> wrote:

> Also, have people been enabling Jumbo frames and tweaking TCP Windows?
>

> On 5/22/2010 3:00 AM, Phil Stricker wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>> Am 22.05.2010 00:15, schrieb Matteo Tescione:
>>
>>> i've been using 802.3ad Dynamic link aggregation and been able to achieve
>>> 1.3/1.4gbit with a dual gigabit intel port connected to a managed switch
>>> (netgear).
>>>
>> sorry, but that is not possible for DRBD-replication. 802.3ad does just
>> improve performance over 1GBit, if you transfer data to multiple hosts/mac
>> adresses, because it does balance the streams via modulo operations of the
>> mac adresses of both peers. As Ben Timby wrote, the one mode that provides
>> multiple link aggregation for a single tcp stream is balance-rr.
>>
>> Phil

Dr. Michael Iverson
Director of Information Technology
Hatteras Printing